The Washtenaw Food Hub will be a bustling network of local, food-based businesses as well as a demonstration site and destination for anyone interested in sustainable food systems. The Washtenaw Food Hub will fill current gaps in the southeast Michigan food system and provide learning and employment opportunities for future entrepreneurs, young people and community members.
One of the main goals of the Food Hub is to increase the available supply of staple foods grown in Michigan by coordinating infrastructure, resources and market outlets for producers. Another main goal is to provide a “one-stop” experience for individual and institutional buyers who prioritize support for local farmers and Michigan-grown food
Guiding Principles Include:
- Health for people, animals and places
- Support regional self-sufficiency in staple foods by focusing on what our area grows well
- Involve, educate and employ community members and young people
- Leverage shared infrastructure, collaborative resources and community expertise
- Demonstrate closed loop sustainable systems and perennial polyculture